Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
My mom makes these yeast rolls on holidays. They have a little bit of sugar in them, making slightly sweet roll for dinner. Can be made 4-5 days in advance.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- Dissolve yeast in water. Combine milk sugar, shortening and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add 1 ½ c flour to mixture beat well. Add yeast and egg and gradually add remaining flour till dough is soft. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise till double.
- OR, do not let rise, instead cover bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours to 4-5 days.
- 2 hours before serving, shape dough on floured surface then let rise 1.25 hours.
- Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.