- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (originally 3/4 c)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips or 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar, and beat mixture again until it holds soft peaks. Add the sugar, gradually, beating the batter until it is stiff. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. Spoon batter onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Undersides of cookies should be golden or lightly tanned.