Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is not your everyday mac & cheese. It always tasted best when Dad would stop in Pinconning MI on his way home from deer hunting each year to pick up a huge round of Pinconning cheese. Mom had 5 hungry kids sitting at the table waiting for this to come out of the oven!
- 1 lb macaroni, I use Mueller's Ready-Cuts
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups cheese
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Note 1: If you can’t find Ready-Cuts, use a small penne pasta or mostaccioli. Elbows don’t have enough substance for this recipe.
- Note 2: You may use stewed or diced tomatoes.
- Note 3: I use a combination of Pinconning, Colby, and mild Cheddar cheese. You may use your favorite(s).
- Boil macaroni in salted water, 3 minutes less than package directions. Drain. It will finish cooking in the oven.
- Sauté onion in butter until soft and translucent. Add the can of tomatoes to the onions and let simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Cut cheese into small chunks and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9X14” glass pan with non-stick cooking spray. Layer half the tomatoes and cheese in the pan. On top of this, layer 1/2 of the cooked, drained macaroni, then the remaining tomatoes, then the remaining macaroni, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Pour 1/4 cup water over the top. Cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe! Very easy and much tastier than the typical mac and cheese of my grandma's era--fat-laden and heavy. MY DH and DD had two platefuls each! DD had a huge plate the next morning before a big swim meet, and she WON! I would rename this Winner's Mac and Cheese! Made for Football Pool Week 8, 2010.
This brought back memories of my grandmother's version of this. She would make it for grandpa and me-no one else liked tomatoes in their mac and cheese. Easy to put together. I cut recipe in half, but used a little more cheese than 1/2 the recipe called for. I used sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. I think instead of water, I would use milk next time, for added creaminess. Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
Good tomato and cheese macaroni. Found that it was missing some spices to our taste. Would make it again by adding italian spices and red chili peppers. Would also add some more tomatoes next time. Thanks ElaineAnn - reminds me of my mom's tomato and cheese macaroni!! :)