Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is always a hit when my mom makes it. It's definitely a special occasion dish thanks to the butter and cream (not to mention the expensive salmon) but if you're looking to impress this is the fish dish for you.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cups soft challah bread crumbs or 2 cups country-style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 lb fresh cremini mushrooms or 1⁄3 lb shiitake mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 5 lbs skinless wild pacific salmon, pin bones removed (2 full sides)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease a roasting dish.
- In a large sauté pan, melt 3 tbsp butter.
- Add onion and garlic and cook over low heat until onion is beginning to turn golden. Remove garlic and discard, set onion aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the Challah crumbs, parsley, dill, lemon juice and mushrooms with the cooked onion.
- Pour buttermilk overtop and mix thoroughly to evenly wet mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place one piece of salmon in the bottom of the dish and spread evenly with the stuffing. Top with the remaining side of salmon, pressing down lightly.
- Scald heavy cream and pour over the fish, then season with salt and pepper and cover.
- Bake 35 minutes, until flaky, basting with creamy pan juices every 10 minutes.