1 hr 5 mins
This is always a hit when my mom makes it. It's definitely a special occasion dish thanks to the butter and cream (not to mention the expensive salmon) but if you're looking to impress this is the fish dish for you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cups soft challah bread crumbs or 2 cups country-style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 lb fresh cremini mushrooms or 1/3 lb shiitake mushroom, chopped
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 5 lbs skinless wild pacific salmon, pin bones removed (2 full sides)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350F, grease a roasting dish.
- 2In a large sauté pan, melt 3 tbsp butter.
- 3Add onion and garlic and cook over low heat until onion is beginning to turn golden. Remove garlic and discard, set onion aside.
- 4In a large bowl, combine the Challah crumbs, parsley, dill, lemon juice and mushrooms with the cooked onion.
- 5Pour buttermilk overtop and mix thoroughly to evenly wet mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Place one piece of salmon in the bottom of the dish and spread evenly with the stuffing. Top with the remaining side of salmon, pressing down lightly.
- 7Scald heavy cream and pour over the fish, then season with salt and pepper and cover.
- 8Bake 35 minutes, until flaky, basting with creamy pan juices every 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom’s Spectacular Stuffed Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.7
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 91.4 mg
- Sodium 136.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 29.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
challah bread crumbs