Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mom made this a lot. It's simple, cheap, and very good. [not made with soup] Get a lot more than with box mix This a mild comfort food that kids like
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in vegetable oil
- 12 ounces canned milk
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- Cook the noodles in boiling water according to package directions.
- Melt the margarine in a skillet; add the oil from the tuna cans. this will add flavor to the sauce Add the flour and stir well to incorporate to make a roux.
- Add the canned milk to the roux and stir constantly until thickened. cook a couple of minutes to get the raw taste from the flour and thicken gravy salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the peas, mushrooms and drained tuna; cook until vegetables are done.
- Add cooked noodles and heat through.
I chose to make this for the "My Three Chefs" challenge. Due to the high fat and sodium ratio, I did some tweaking to lower this. 1. After I drained the oil from the tuna,I rinsed it to remove the rest of the oil. 2.I cut the margarine to two tbls. 3. I cut the flour to 3 tbls to make the roux and added some of the starchy water from the cooked noodles. So you see, I did not add or take away any ingredients. The end results was a tasty, but somewhat bland meal that had some hot pepper sauce added at the table to add some kick.
Easy and great flavor! (I used canned peas).