Recipe by MarieL
This recipe differs from the many other delicious-sounding pickled cucumber recipes in its use of mustard seed and celery seed. Mom Hoffman's recipe didn't specify the amount of mustard seed or celery seed to use, so I guessed. Preparation time doesn't include "set aside" time.
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 cucumbers, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar or 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the cucumber slices with the salt and set aside for 1/2 hour, then squeeze out the excess water.
- Cook the sugar, vinegar and water in a saucepan long enough to dissolve the sugar.
- Combine all ingredients and stir.
- Allow at least a 1/2 hour for flavors to mingle before serving.