Mom Gourley's Salt Rising Bread
- Peel potato and slice thin.
- Add potato to the boiling water to which the 1 tablespoon sugar, meal and 1 tablespoon salt have been added.
- Keep this mixing warm overnight or until ferments and smells.
- Take out the slices of potato and add the cup of scalded milk and enough flour to make a stiff batter.
- Keep warm until it rises.
- Then add the warm water, shortening, 1 teaspoon salt and enough flour to make consistency of bread dough.
- Put in greased pan and let rise. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.