Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is how we cook ham for the holidays guys. Check baking time for the size of ham you have; this is just how to prepare it. All sizes are different. You can use a boneless ham but it's not as good, and may need more cloves. Save the bone for bean soup.
- Take rind off the ham if it has one.
- Score the fat in diamond shapes on top of the ham (score means cut).
- Take whole cloves and put in the score marks where they intersect; one in each diamond top and bottom.
- Put pineapple rings on top then cover with brown sugar.
- Pour can of 7-up in bottom of baking dish.
- Cover with tin foil and bake 4 hours at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until done, and meat is falling off the bone.
- You may need to add water to bottom of the pan; check and baste every hour and more frequently towards the end.
- Of course remove the cloves when you take the ham out, after it cools little, 'cause biting into a clove is not good thing, lol.
loved this old fashioned ham
i used sugar free 7 up and splenda brown sugar and a dusting of ground cloves
Just as good as I remembered it to be. When I was a kid,yes, I can remember back that far, this is how the majority of people I knew cooked their food. Plain and simple. Easy directions, always on hand ingredients and good juicy meat. Thanks for posting. jim