Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Mom cooked this--it's simple yet good.
- Saute onion in butter until soft.
- Pour over chicken in baking dish that has water in bottom.
- Salt and pepper.
- Wrap tinfoil over baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover chicken and continue baking for 30 minutes. Check chicken by poking with fork--if no blood comes out, it is done.
- The chicken skin should be golden brown With bigger chickens it's going to take longer to cook. Marie said it took about 90 minutes to do 5 lbs and there's nothing worse than underdone chicken.
This was such an EASY recipe. It came out wonderful & the house smelled SO good :) Thanks!
This was excellent. We love roast chicken and we make it frequently. I liked the added onion to the chicken and I also used some butter to baste the chicken with to get it nice and golden. Oh and an onion stuffed inside just for added onion. Thanks for a tasty recipe
Very easy to make. The onions taste delcious. My 5lb. chicken about 1.25 hours to cook after it was uncovered. Thanks for the recipe.