Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
my mom and I make this every year, and it makes a lot!!! We give it away as gifts, thank yous and we eat a lot too. It is really good on pancakes and waffles, or on your favorite bread or biscuits. The cook time is approximate as I always forget to write that part down!!! I'm including reducing time for the cider in the cook time. Any apples will work too!!
- 4 gallons of prepared apples (cored, but you don't need to peel them, slice them kinda thin though)
- 1 gallon sweet apple cider
- 4 pints sugar (8 cups)
- 3 tablespoons allspice
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon
- Put sweet cider into your large canner and boil until it is reduced by 1/2.
- Add apples to the cider while it is boiling, then turn down to a simmer.
- Cook slowly until apples are soft, then put through your food mill.
- Return to the heat and continue boiling, stirring frequently until it reduces a bit and starts to thicken.
- Add the sugar and the spices.
- Cook until a spoonful on a plate remains a smooth mass that you can push around with a spoon.
- Pour into sterilized hot jars and seal with lids and bands, being sure to wipe edge before you put the lids on.
- Process 20 minutes for Pints and 15 minutes for 1/2 pints.