2 hrs 30 mins
my mom and I make this every year, and it makes a lot!!! We give it away as gifts, thank yous and we eat a lot too. It is really good on pancakes and waffles, or on your favorite bread or biscuits. The cook time is approximate as I always forget to write that part down!!! I'm including reducing time for the cider in the cook time. Any apples will work too!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put sweet cider into your large canner and boil until it is reduced by 1/2.
- 2Add apples to the cider while it is boiling, then turn down to a simmer.
- 3Cook slowly until apples are soft, then put through your food mill.
- 4Return to the heat and continue boiling, stirring frequently until it reduces a bit and starts to thicken.
- 5Add the sugar and the spices.
- 6Cook until a spoonful on a plate remains a smooth mass that you can push around with a spoon.
- 7Pour into sterilized hot jars and seal with lids and bands, being sure to wipe edge before you put the lids on.
- 8Process 20 minutes for Pints and 15 minutes for 1/2 pints.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom & Carrie's Apple Butter
Serving Size: 1 (9650 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 873.1
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 228.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.7 g
- Sugars 202.3 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet apple cider