Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
My husband's absolute favourites when we visit. He can polish down quite a few, therefore this double recipe...Good he still plays hockey 3 times a week to keep in shape!!!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 8 cups flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix all ingredients.
- Beat the batter and roll onto floured board.
- Kneed a little till it doen't stick to fingers.
- Roll with rolling pin to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut with doughnut cutter.
- Grease has to be hot 400-450°F.
- Drop into grease and cook until brown, turn over and cook the other side until brown.
- Take out and place on a paper towel to absorb grease if any.