Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Mother-in-law Grace Binney, is the finest brownie maker we know; and she makes it gladly for her son (my husband) when we visit. Calories... you mentioned calories...ahh, but they are too good to pass on!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Mix all ingredients, adding nuts last.
- Stir well.
- Add to 11x15 oiled pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes Ice with chocolate frosting when cool.
- Icing: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stir constantly till it boils, then do not stir anylonger.
- Time it to boil 1-1/2-2 minutes without stirring.
- Remove quickly and place in the sink in cold water just to cover bottom to cool down.
- Beat well to thicken and spread quickly on the brownies.
We just made the recipe, without the icing, we put in 1/2 cup chocolate chips instead of the walnuts because my one son doesn't like nuts---wonderful! Light, cake-like brownie, not too sweet; we had it with ice cream. When it was done, it looked done lol so, no guessing if the inside was going to be cooked thru--we really enjoyed this one, thanks!