1/2 Photos of Molukhia - Jews Mallow Soup
chef FIFI's Note:
This is a very common dish through out the middle east known as molukhia in Arabic, but its technical term is jews mallow. Egyptians are famed for their molukhia. Its picked during harvest time and either dried or frozen, so that it may be enjoyed through out the year. Because this is typically grown in the middle east,although there are a few farms that do grow this in the U.S., its readily available in most middle eastern stores either in frozen or dry form. My recipe is based on my frozen version. Recipes will vary throught the middle east, depending on region. Molukhia is made a couple of ways, but this is the more common. Molukhia is traditionally enjoyed with a side of rice and a lemon wedge.Try Egyptian Condiment (Daqua) #107277, to kick it up a notch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season chicken and boil chicken and onions(onions will give it flavor and help tame any gamey flavor the chicken may have) in water, until done, make sure you skim the scum off the top of the water as chicken boils.
- 2Make sure you have the above chicken broth, if your running low after chicken has boiled add a bit of water.
- 3Open and add the frozen mlokhia to the boiling broth.
- 4Add maggi cubes.
- 5Add allspice.
- 6Let boil until molukhia has defrosted into the broth, then let cook additional 5 minutes.
- 7Smash garlic up with a mortar and pestle, until its almost like a paste, you may add a bit of salt in the mortar and pestle to help smash.
- 8In a small saucepan, add oil and let oil get hot, place garlic in oil and keep an eye on it stirring frequently.
- 9Once garlic has reached a deep golden brown, but definitely NOT BURNT.
- 10Pour oil and garlic into the molukhia.
- 11Stir let set, serve next to bowl of rice.
- 12Taking a spoonful at a time, place of rice and eat together.
- 13If desired squeeze lemon over the bowl of mlokhia before eating to add an extra kick.
Nutritional Facts for Molukhia - Jews Mallow Soup
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.0
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 757.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: