Recipe by French Tart
Pure indulgence & total comfort food! Melted Camembert cheese baked au gratin with potatoes, bacon, onions, wine & creme fraiche! This is my own adaptation of a recipe called Tartiflette; an Alpine Savoy dish which uses Reblochon cheese which I find a bit overpowering in flavour, so I made my own recipe up using Camembert and cutting out butter and full fat cream too! This is a truly lovely meal which is served with crisp green salad and a selection of charcuterie - such as salamis, sausages, pates & terrines. Bring the Poele, the little cooking pot to the table, have everything set out, add some wine & invite friends and family over.......... oh, and don't forget to light the log fire too!
- 1 1⁄4 kg potatoes, peeled
- 500 g camembert cheese
- 2 medium onions, peeled & roughly chopped
- 200 g smoked lardons or 200 g smoked streaky bacon, cubed
- 5 tablespoons creme fraiche or 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 400 ml dry white wine
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter, for greasing
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 210C,425°F.
- Grease an ovenproof dish, I use a French Poele, a small pan like earthenware dish with a handle, but any oven proof dish which is fairly deep will be okay!
- Peel and boil the potatoes whole; cook for about 20-25 mins or until JUST tender but still holding their shape well.Plunge them into cold water to stop them cooking and set them to one side.
- Meanwhile, heat up a frying pan and cook the lardons or bacon cubes together with the diced onions. Cook them over a medium heat, pouring away any excess fat. Fry them until the bacon is crispy but not too brown and the onions are tender.
- Mix together the creme fraiche and glass of wine. Season the mixture very well with black pepper and just a touch of salt, as the bacon will be salty.
- Take your Camembert cheese and very carefully slice it into two pieces horizontally.
- Drain the cooled potatoes and cut them into 1/4" thick slices. Layer half of them in to the greased oven proof dish and then cover with half of the onion and bacon mixture.
- Pour over half of the wine and creme fraiche mixture. Place one half of the whole Camembert on top. Repeat the layer in the same order: potatoes, bacon and onion mixture, wine and creme fraiche mixture and end the layers by placing the last half a Camembert cheese on top.
- Season with black pepper again and just a pinch of salt if you wish.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes or until the gratin is brown and bubbling.
- Set to one side for about 3-5 minutes, it firms up a bit and is easier to serve then!
- Serve with a big bowl of crisp green salad, assorted Charcuterie such as cold meats, salami, terrine and sausage AND not forgetting crusty bread to mop all those juices up with!
- Great with a well chilled and dry white wine such as Chablis or Chardonnay.