Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
From All For You magazine - Sept 2009 The beauty of the ckaes is that their centers stay much softer than the outer layer. To avoid losing their molten interiors, be sure to not overbake them. If that happens, you can still eat them, but the centers will be firm instead of soft. If you are neverous about inverting the cakes, don't do it. You can serve them in their ramekins. - You can prepare the cakes up to a day in advance. Make the batter, spoon it into ramekins, cover each with foil and refrigerate. When you're ready to serve, remove foil and bake cakes for 14 minutes. - Add fruit. You can serve with fresh strawberries, raspberries, cherries or a combo. A simple fruit sauce can be serve (blending a handful of berries agalong with a couple of tablespoons sugar and teaspoon of lemon juice in a blender / food processor, then straining the liquid through a sieve before using. - Serve with whipped cream. Spruce up the whipped cream with few teaspoons of honey or dash amaretto, creme de methe or another favourite liqueur.
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt, dash
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat ober to 450 degrees.
- 2. Butter 6 3/4 cup ramekins.
- 3. Place chocolate and butter in a saucepan over lowest heat setting and cook, stirring constantly with a flexible spatula, until melted and smooth.
- 4. Remove from heat, pour into a bowl and let cool slightly.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and espresso powder together with a fork.
- 6. In a large bowl, using a wire wisk, beat eggs, yolks, cream and vanilla.
- 7. Whisk in powered sugar, just until combined.
- 8. Fold chocolate mixture into egg mixture, then stir in flour mixture, just until combined (you shouldn't see any traces of flour, but try not to mix more than necessary).
- 9. Use a spoon to divide chocolate mixture among ramekins.
- 10. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- 11. Remove and let stand for 1 minute.
- 12. Run a knife around inside edge of each ramekin and invert cakes onto plates.
- 13. Serve hot, with a dusting of powdered sugar, if desired.