Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This recipe comes from the Fat free Vegan. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks scrumptious!
For The Molten Centers
- 158.51 ml non-dairy chocolate chips (dark chocolate)
- 29.58 ml arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 59.14 ml soymilk (plain or vanilla)
For The Cake
- 56.69 g spinach (fresh or frozen-include stems if you want)
- 59.14 ml soymilk (plain, vanilla or chocolate)
- 236.59 ml raw zucchini (fresh or frozen-course chop)
- 78.07 ml agave nectar (light or dark)
- 59.14 ml pure maple syrup
- 59.14 ml sunflower oil (or other light oil)
- 14.79 ml flax seed meal (ground fine)
- 118.29 ml apple cider vinegar
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 9.85 ml instant coffee (substitute)
- 236.59 ml spelt flour (white)
- 118.29 ml oat flour (whole)
- 78.07 ml cocoa powder (dark and 22-24% fat content)
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Lightly spray 8 oven safe large ramekins or custard cups and place on a cookie sheet.
- FOR THE MOLTEN CENTER.
- In a small, heavy pot, combine the chips, cornstarch, and soy milk. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until the chips are melted and the texture is smooth. Turn off heat and set aside.
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the spinach, soy milk, zucchini to a smooth puree. Add the agave, maple syrup, oil, flax, coffee substitute, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla, blend to combine. Set aside while you measure the dry ingredients, or for at least two minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together to combine.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the cake batter into each ramekin, then place a large spoonful (about 2 tablespoons of filling on it (try not to touch the sides of the ramekin otherwise it will not work). Cover with more batter so that the ramekin is 2/3 full.
- Bake the cakes in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the edge comes out dry. The middle will remain moist, as that's where the molten filling is. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto serving dishes. Serve immediately. You can garnish with fresh raspberries and vegan whipped cream if desired.
- You can half this recipe also.
- Bon Appetit!
- Variation: Omit the molten center and gently stir 2/3 cup chocolate chips to the batter before filling the pan. Maybe be baked as cupcakes.