Recipe by Annacia
These little molten chocolate-cherry cakes are perfect to serve on Valentine's Day for a very special dessert. When you cut into them, chocolate comes "oozing" out, so good! Remember, it is very important to serve these cakes warm from the oven. Be sure to make the dipped cherrries ahead and have them ready.
Top Review by wicked cook 46
I cut the recipe in half to make 3 . I can not find stemmed cherries so skipped the covered cherries step. I served them with cherry flavored whipped cream( just homemade whipped cream with the maraschino cherry juice added) that I added bits of chopped cherries to. YUMMMMMMMY. I love lava cakes and this is a wonderful twist. Made for Photo Tag
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, finely chopped
- sweetened whipped cream, garnish
CHOCOLATE DIPPED CHERRIES
- 6 maraschino cherries, with stems
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Chocolate Dipped Cherries:.
- Drain 6 maraschino cherries with stems. Pat dry with paper towels. Place 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 45 seconds. Stir until chips are melted. Dip cherries into chocolate mixture. Place on wax paper-lined tray. Refrigerate until serving time.
- FOR CAKES:.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Grease six 3/4-cup souffle dishes or 6-ounce custard cups.
- Sprinkle inside of each with some of the 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place dishes in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or a jelly-roll pan.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in cocoa, 1/3 cup sugar, whipping cream and vanilla.
- Whisk in flour just until combined, set aside.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in large bowl on high speed of mixer about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened and lemon-colored.
- Beat in chocolate mixture on medium speed.
- Pour about 1/4 cup into each prepared dish.
- Sprinkle chopped cherries evenly over each.
- Carefully pour remaining chocolate mixture into each dish.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or just until top of each cake looks dry. (Do not over bake.).
- Let stand in dishes 3 minutes.
- Loosen sides of each and invert onto serving plates.
- Serve warm topped with whipped cream and a Chocolate Dipped Cherry.