Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
Oh so yummy, even when you use white or milk chocolate. Serve with whip cream to cut the richness slightly.
- Chop 7 oz dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces.
- Place into a metal bowl, add 1/2 cup butter.
- Melt over a simmering waterbath.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and (3) egg yolks.
- Whisk together until chocolate mixture is smooth.
- Add well sifted cake flour, and gently incorporated into the above chocolate mixture.
- Place the (3) egg whites into a clean metal bowl, add salt and cream of tartar.
- Using a whisk, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Continue to whisk while slowly sprinkling in the sugar.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold 1/3rd of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Then fold-in another 1/3rd of the egg whites.
- Then fold-in the last 1/3rd of the egg whites.
- Deposit the batter into large "non-stick" muffin tins - fill 3/4 full.
- Ramekins can also be used simply butter insides and dust with cocoa powder.
- Push a ganache center (recipe follows) into the center of each cake batter.
- Bake at 375F degrees for 15 minutes.
- Do not over bake!
- Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack to cool.
- Ganache Center.
- Chop 2 oz. dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces.
- Place into a metal bowl.
- Heat heavy cream, pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Add 1 teaspoons butter and whisk until incorporated.
- Place mixture into the refrigerator to cool.
- Every few minutes whisk the mixture until a frosting like consistency is reached.
- If the mixture becomes firm slightly rewarm.
- Fill a pastry bag with the ganache.
- Pipe-out "cherry" sized portions.
- Place these mounds into the freezer until ready to use.