1 hr 5 mins
Oh so yummy, even when you use white or milk chocolate. Serve with whip cream to cut the richness slightly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop 7 oz dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces.
- 2Place into a metal bowl, add 1/2 cup butter.
- 3Melt over a simmering waterbath.
- 4Remove from heat.
- 5Add vanilla extract and (3) egg yolks.
- 6Whisk together until chocolate mixture is smooth.
- 7Add well sifted cake flour, and gently incorporated into the above chocolate mixture.
- 8Place the (3) egg whites into a clean metal bowl, add salt and cream of tartar.
- 9Using a whisk, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 10Continue to whisk while slowly sprinkling in the sugar.
- 11Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold 1/3rd of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- 12Then fold-in another 1/3rd of the egg whites.
- 13Then fold-in the last 1/3rd of the egg whites.
- 14Deposit the batter into large "non-stick" muffin tins - fill 3/4 full.
- 15Ramekins can also be used simply butter insides and dust with cocoa powder.
- 16Push a ganache center (recipe follows) into the center of each cake batter.
- 17Bake at 375F degrees for 15 minutes.
- 18Do not over bake!
- 19Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack to cool.
- 20Ganache Center.
- 21Chop 2 oz. dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces.
- 22Place into a metal bowl.
- 23Heat heavy cream, pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- 24Add 1 teaspoons butter and whisk until incorporated.
- 25Place mixture into the refrigerator to cool.
- 26Every few minutes whisk the mixture until a frosting like consistency is reached.
- 27If the mixture becomes firm slightly rewarm.
- 28Fill a pastry bag with the ganache.
- 29Pipe-out "cherry" sized portions.
- 30Place these mounds into the freezer until ready to use.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molten Chocolate Center Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.6
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.9 g
- Cholesterol 192.5 mg
- Sodium 243.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g