Recipe from The Cookworks. This is a keeper! Special Equipment: 5 (2 x 2 1/4") round molds
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Ingredients for Cake
- unsalted butter, for cake molds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 ounces extra unsweetened chocolate squares, finely chopped
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 ounces sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
Ingredients for Espresso Creme Anglaise
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 3 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 1Instructions for Cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Butter the round molds with the unsalted butter and dust with cocoa powder, tapping out excess cocoa.
- 3Melt the extra bitter chocolate and the unsalted butter in a double boiler.
- 4In an electric mixer, beat the eggs, yolks, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 5Stir in the chocolate/butter mixture.
- 6Add all the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- 7Pipe or carefully spoon the batter into the prepared molds, filling no more than 1/2 full.
- 8Place the filled molds on a baking sheet.
- 9Refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- 10The batter will hold overnight in the refrigerator after it's been put into the molds.
- 11Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.
- 12The tops will have cracks, the sides will be set, but the centers will be very soft.
- 13Instructions for Espresso Creme Anglaise: Whisk the yolks and the sugar together until thickened and pale yellow.
- 14In a small pot warm the cream just to the boiling point over medium heat.
- 15While whisking, add some of the hot cream into the egg mixture.
- 16Pour into the pot with the rest of the cream and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- 17Add the espresso.
- 18Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 19When cakes are done, drizzle with the creme.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molten Chocolate Cake with Espresso Creme Anglaise
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.1
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 324.5 mg
- Sodium 72.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 30.7 g
- Protein 10.5 g