Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 mins
Recipe from The Cookworks. This is a keeper! Special Equipment: 5 (2 x 2 1/4") round molds
Make and share this Molten Chocolate Cake with Espresso Creme Anglaise recipe from Food.com.
Ingredients for Cake
- unsalted butter, for cake molds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 ounces extra unsweetened chocolate squares, finely chopped
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 ounces sugar
- 1 1⁄2 ounces all-purpose flour
Ingredients for Espresso Creme Anglaise
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 3 tablespoons brewed espresso
- Instructions for Cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter the round molds with the unsalted butter and dust with cocoa powder, tapping out excess cocoa.
- Melt the extra bitter chocolate and the unsalted butter in a double boiler.
- In an electric mixer, beat the eggs, yolks, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the chocolate/butter mixture.
- Add all the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Pipe or carefully spoon the batter into the prepared molds, filling no more than 1/2 full.
- Place the filled molds on a baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- The batter will hold overnight in the refrigerator after it's been put into the molds.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.
- The tops will have cracks, the sides will be set, but the centers will be very soft.
- Instructions for Espresso Creme Anglaise: Whisk the yolks and the sugar together until thickened and pale yellow.
- In a small pot warm the cream just to the boiling point over medium heat.
- While whisking, add some of the hot cream into the egg mixture.
- Pour into the pot with the rest of the cream and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Add the espresso.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When cakes are done, drizzle with the creme.