Recipe from The Cookworks. This is a keeper! Special Equipment: 5 (2 x 2 1/4") round molds
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Ingredients for Cake
- unsalted butter, for cake molds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 ounces extra unsweetened chocolate squares, finely chopped
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 ounces sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
Ingredients for Espresso Creme Anglaise
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 3 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 1Instructions for Cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Butter the round molds with the unsalted butter and dust with cocoa powder, tapping out excess cocoa.
- 3Melt the extra bitter chocolate and the unsalted butter in a double boiler.
- 4In an electric mixer, beat the eggs, yolks, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 5Stir in the chocolate/butter mixture.
- 6Add all the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- 7Pipe or carefully spoon the batter into the prepared molds, filling no more than 1/2 full.
- 8Place the filled molds on a baking sheet.
- 9Refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- 10The batter will hold overnight in the refrigerator after it's been put into the molds.
- 11Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.
- 12The tops will have cracks, the sides will be set, but the centers will be very soft.
- 13Instructions for Espresso Creme Anglaise: Whisk the yolks and the sugar together until thickened and pale yellow.
- 14In a small pot warm the cream just to the boiling point over medium heat.
- 15While whisking, add some of the hot cream into the egg mixture.
- 16Pour into the pot with the rest of the cream and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- 17Add the espresso.
- 18Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 19When cakes are done, drizzle with the creme.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molten Chocolate Cake with Espresso Creme Anglaise
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.1
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 324.5 mg
- Sodium 72.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 30.7 g
- Protein 10.5 g