Recipe by Rooster 1
This recipe came from Food and Wine Magazine, September 2003. It is a delicious and impressive dessert to serve but very simple and quick to make. They take only 12 minutes to bake and the centres of these chocolate cakes ooze hot, gooey chocolate. This recipe makes 4 servings and requires 6 ounce ramikins. A variation of this dessert is to simply add a chocolate to the centre. Fill the ramikin half way, place a chocolate of your choice in the centre, then fill the rest of the ramikin. It's also easy to halve this recipe if just serving two people. Update - just made a gluten free version of this with rice flour - turned out great but a tad bit more runny than usual.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, plus more for buttering
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more to use for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Butter and flour the four ramikins, tap out excess flour.
- Melt butter with the chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water.
- Beat the whole eggs, egg yolks, salt and sugar at high speed until pale and thickened.
- Whisk the chocolate and butter until smooth.
- Fold it quickly into the egg mixture along with the flour.
- Spoon into ramikins.
- Place the ramikins on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centres are still soft.
- Watch the cakes as baking them longer than 12 minutes results in them baking completely through.
- Let them cool for one minute.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cakes then invert them onto a plate.
- Let them sit for a few seconds before unmolding.
- Serve right away.