Rooster 1's Note:
This recipe came from Food and Wine Magazine, September 2003. It is a delicious and impressive dessert to serve but very simple and quick to make. They take only 12 minutes to bake and the centres of these chocolate cakes ooze hot, gooey chocolate. This recipe makes 4 servings and requires 6 ounce ramikins. A variation of this dessert is to simply add a chocolate to the centre. Fill the ramikin half way, place a chocolate of your choice in the centre, then fill the rest of the ramikin. It's also easy to halve this recipe if just serving two people. Update - just made a gluten free version of this with rice flour - turned out great but a tad bit more runny than usual.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Butter and flour the four ramikins, tap out excess flour.
- 3Melt butter with the chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water.
- 4Beat the whole eggs, egg yolks, salt and sugar at high speed until pale and thickened.
- 5Whisk the chocolate and butter until smooth.
- 6Fold it quickly into the egg mixture along with the flour.
- 7Spoon into ramikins.
- 8Place the ramikins on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centres are still soft.
- 9Watch the cakes as baking them longer than 12 minutes results in them baking completely through.
- 10Let them cool for one minute.
- 11Run a knife around the edge of the cakes then invert them onto a plate.
- 12Let them sit for a few seconds before unmolding.
- 13Serve right away.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molten Chocolate Cake - Super Easy
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.4
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 271.6 mg
- Sodium 81.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 5.1 g