Comfort food heaven. From Sunset. These can be made OAMC. Do through step 5 and keep frozen in zip-lock plastic bags (freeze on a cookie sheet to harden, then transfer to bags).
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed clean (3 large)
- 9 ounces finely grated aged gouda cheese (such as Winchester Sharp)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Set potatoes on a baking sheet and slash each deeply lengthwise down the center.
- Bake potatoes until they are tender and look slightly dried out, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix together 3 cups cheese and the cream. Set aside.
- As soon as potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them; discard peels. Put potatoes through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
- Mix in egg, salt, and 1 cup flour, adding just enough additional flour to make the dough pliable and not sticky (too much flour will make the gnocchi heavy).
- Turn out onto a floured work surface; with floured hands, knead dough 10 to 12 times.
- Divide dough and cover one batch with a damp kitchen towel.
- Roll other batch into a 3/4-in.-thick rope and cut into 3/4-in.-long pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten into a 2-in. circle with your fingers or the bottom of a well-floured drinking glass.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Top each dough circle with 1/2 teaspoons cheese-cream mixture.
- Gather up dough around filling and pinch to close, then roll into a small, smooth ball.
- Repeat rolling, filling, and forming with second batch of dough.
- Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches below heating element.
- Divide melted butter between two 2-qt. casserole dishes (or use one 4-qt. casserole and all the butter). Working in batches, drop gnocchi into boiling water, being careful not to crowd them.
- Boil gnocchi until they rise to the surface, 4 to 5 minutes; cook 8 to 10 seconds longer, then transfer with a slotted spoon to casserole dish(es), making sure water drains off from gnocchi.
- Turn gnocchi to coat in butter. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining cheese and broil until browned on top, 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Fantastic recipe! The gnocchi were super light. Excellent directions. A little time consuming stuffing one by one,but worth the effort. Delicious.