1/2 Photos of Molten Cheese Gnocchi
Comfort food heaven. From Sunset. These can be made OAMC. Do through step 5 and keep frozen in zip-lock plastic bags (freeze on a cookie sheet to harden, then transfer to bags).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed clean (3 large)
- 9 ounces finely grated aged gouda cheese (such as Winchester Sharp)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Set potatoes on a baking sheet and slash each deeply lengthwise down the center.
- 2Bake potatoes until they are tender and look slightly dried out, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 3In a small bowl, mix together 3 cups cheese and the cream. Set aside.
- 4As soon as potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them; discard peels. Put potatoes through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
- 5Mix in egg, salt, and 1 cup flour, adding just enough additional flour to make the dough pliable and not sticky (too much flour will make the gnocchi heavy).
- 6Turn out onto a floured work surface; with floured hands, knead dough 10 to 12 times.
- 7Divide dough and cover one batch with a damp kitchen towel.
- 8Roll other batch into a 3/4-in.-thick rope and cut into 3/4-in.-long pieces.
- 9Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten into a 2-in. circle with your fingers or the bottom of a well-floured drinking glass.
- 10Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Top each dough circle with 1/2 teaspoons cheese-cream mixture.
- 11Gather up dough around filling and pinch to close, then roll into a small, smooth ball.
- 12Repeat rolling, filling, and forming with second batch of dough.
- 13Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches below heating element.
- 14Divide melted butter between two 2-qt. casserole dishes (or use one 4-qt. casserole and all the butter). Working in batches, drop gnocchi into boiling water, being careful not to crowd them.
- 15Boil gnocchi until they rise to the surface, 4 to 5 minutes; cook 8 to 10 seconds longer, then transfer with a slotted spoon to casserole dish(es), making sure water drains off from gnocchi.
- 16Turn gnocchi to coat in butter. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining cheese and broil until browned on top, 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molten Cheese Gnocchi
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.4
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 795.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 17.6 g