Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This comes from a little book, simply titled Traditional Portugese Pudding, which I bought in Lisbon. I haven't tried it but posted it by request.
For the pudding
- 7 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 100 g slivered almonds, roasted
For the egg sweet
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 tablespoons water
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- lemon juice, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, for greasing
- Whip the egg whites until they are very stiff and firm.
- Add the cornstarch very slowly, always continuing to whip.
- Put the sugar in a pan and heat until it becomes golden.
- Add it, while hot, to the whipped whites, to give them colour.
- Heat the oven-- no temperature is given in the book but judging from other Molotoff recipes I've seen I would set it at a low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare a pan with boiling water that is big enough to fit your cake tin in, to cook the pudding in a warm water bath.
- With butter, grease a tube or bundt pan.
- Put in the whipped whites, smooth the surface and place in the oven, in the bain-marie pan, to cook for 7 minutes.
- Watch that it doesn't become too brown.
- Turn off the oven and leave the pudding inside.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes with the oven door open or shut, depending on the colour of the pudding, which should never be darker than light brown.
- Meanwhile, make the egg-sweet, boiling the sugar with the water until it forms a thick syrup.
- Remove from the heat and when cool add the egg yolks, beaten with the cornstarch and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Let it boil up again and if too thick add a little more water.
- Very carefully, remove the pudding from the tin.
- Place in a deep dish, cover with the egg sauce and decorate with the roasted almonds.
Had this in Portugal,been searching for the recipe ever since!!! This is fabulous!!!!
looks nothing like the picture and is kinda hard to make...hope your ambitious
I decided to make this b/c we had it at a resturant. We spent over an hour making the recipe. It came out terrible. The directions are not clear and no one should bother to make this.