Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wild axis deer were introduced to the Hawaiian island of Molokai in the 1860s, and today flourish all over the island. Adapted from The Polynesian Cookbook. Prep time does not include overnight marinating time. Serve with buttered noodles.
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 2 cups plum wine
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 -4 lbs lean venison, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes
- Combine vinegar, plum wine, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf, oregano and time in a non-reactive bowl and mix well.
- Add venison and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and reserve marinade.
- Heat oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven.
- Add meat and brown well on all sides.
- Add marinade and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until meat is tender, about 1 1/2-2 hours.