Recipe by Daydream
A staple mid-week dish that my mother cooked at home. An Australian tablespoon equals 20ml.
- 750 g ground beef
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 slices bacon, rashers trimmed of fat and chopped
- 1 egg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1 slice day-old bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (400 g) can red kidney beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together well the ground beef, carrot, bacon, egg, salt and pepper to taste, and crumbled bread. Shape into balls the size of a ping-pong ball.
- Heat olive oil into a heavy based pan and saute the meat balls until browned.
- Add tomato juice, tomato ketchup, Golden Syrup and Worcestershire sauce, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add drained kidney beans, and heat through gently.
- Serve with cooked rice.