Recipe by lynnski / LA
This Mollie Katzen recipe is a vegetable dish where the rice plays a secondary role to the veggies; the reverse of traditional fried rice recipes. The leafy greens called for can be kale, collards, spinach, beet, chard, Asian greens or a mixture of greens. The rice should be cooked the day before. I cook my rice in the microwave in 2 separate one cup batches, it comes out perfect every time. Originally, the Chinese made fried rice to use up leftover rice and would serve the meal with a soup.
Top Review by Rhiannon and Matt
I used this as a base recipe to play around with. It's very good. We didn't have any leafy greens, sugar snap peas or almonds, but added oyster & brown mushrooms, canned baby corn, capsicum (bell pepper) and another cup of rice & tblsp of soy sauce. Thanks for sharing, lynnski :)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 4 cups packed leafy greens
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 green onions, sliced across
- 2⁄3 cup lightly toasted almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the omelet: in a 10" non-stick skillet, add about a teaspoon of oil, allow the pan to heat for about 30 seconds, then add the 2 beaten eggs. Swirl the beaten eggs around until one side is evenly cooked, then flip the omelet over to cook the other side.
- Transfer omelet to a plate and cut omelet into strips, set aside.
- In a wok, add oil and allow pan to heat up; add onion and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in broccoli, green beans, carrot and garlic. Add salt, if using, and stir-fry over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir in chopped leafy greens and sugar snap peas, cook until they turn bright green.
- Fluff the cooked rice, and add to wok, along with the soy sauce, green onion and omelet strips.
- Serve hot, topped with the almonds.