Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is super easy, healthy comfort food from Mollie Katzen's cookbook, "Vegetable Heaven", where she refers to it as a grown-up mac 'n' cheese. I prefer it served warm, so that the cottage cheese melts. You can also add a little lemon juice.
- 1 lb low fat cottage cheese, room temperature (can also use regular or nonfat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup minced chives or 1⁄4 cup scallion
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb orzo
- 1 cup frozen peas
- fresh grated parmesan cheese or pecorino romano cheese, for the top
- Combine the cottage cheese, salt, chives or scallions, lemon zest, and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl, and mix well.
- Cook the orzo in plenty of rapidly boiling water until it is tender. Place the peas in a colander in the sink, and drain the pasta right into the peas. (This will defrost the peas and cook them slightly). Shake off the excess water, transfer the orzo and peas to the cottage cheese mixture, and stir gently. Sprinkle with grated cheese, and serve warm or at room temperature, in bowls.