1/1 Photo of Molletes II ( Mexican Beans on Toast)
If you're lucky enough to have a Mexican bakery nearby, use *bolillos or *teleras to prepare the molettes. (*Oval shaped bolillos and round teleras are basically the Mexican version of French bread.) We ate molletes all the time as kids but on Weber's white bread instead! ;) If pressed for time, use canned beans, however you are in for a real culinary treat if you use homemade refried beans and salsa. *Update 9 Sept 2010: I tried this bolillo recipe and it worked out really well!: Mexican Bolillos, Crusty Oval Rolls
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 bolillos bread or 6 slices French bread, DAY OLD
- butter or extra virgin olive oil, for spreading
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans, definitely homemade
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, such as queso blanco, queso fresco (can substitute sharp white cheddar) or 1 cup panela cheese (can substitute sharp white cheddar)
- shredded lettuce (to garnish, crunchy lettuce such as romaine or iceberg) (optional)
- 1 cup salsa, homemade if possible
- 1 cup guacamole, homemade is preferable
- 1Cut the bolillos in half lengthwise and then cut a small slice off the bottom of bread so that each piece lies flat. If using French bread, cut into 3/4" slices.
- 2Spread each slice of bread lightly with butter or olive oil, or a combination of.
- 3Arrange the bread slices on a cookie sheet and broil for about 3-4 minutes until crispy and golden.
- 4Divide warmed refried beans onto the rolls, sprinkle with cheese on top. Broil again but only until the cheese starts to melt, perhaps another minute or two at most.
- 5Remove molettes from oven and garnish with lettuce, if desired. Next top with salsa and guacamole.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molletes II ( Mexican Beans on Toast)
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.5
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.3 mg
- Sodium 2324.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: