Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
If you're lucky enough to have a Mexican bakery nearby, use *bolillos or *teleras to prepare the molettes. (*Oval shaped bolillos and round teleras are basically the Mexican version of French bread.) We ate molletes all the time as kids but on Weber's white bread instead! ;) If pressed for time, use canned beans, however you are in for a real culinary treat if you use homemade refried beans and salsa. *Update 9 Sept 2010: I tried this bolillo recipe and it worked out really well!: Mexican Bolillos, Crusty Oval Rolls
- 4 -5 bolillos bread or 6 slices French bread, DAY OLD
- butter or extra virgin olive oil, for spreading
- 1 1⁄2 cups refried beans, definitely homemade
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, such as queso blanco, queso fresco (can substitute sharp white cheddar) or 1 cup panela cheese (can substitute sharp white cheddar)
- shredded lettuce (to garnish, crunchy lettuce such as romaine or iceberg) (optional)
- 1 cup salsa, homemade if possible
- 1 cup guacamole, homemade is preferable
- Cut the bolillos in half lengthwise and then cut a small slice off the bottom of bread so that each piece lies flat. If using French bread, cut into 3/4" slices.
- Spread each slice of bread lightly with butter or olive oil, or a combination of.
- Arrange the bread slices on a cookie sheet and broil for about 3-4 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Divide warmed refried beans onto the rolls, sprinkle with cheese on top. Broil again but only until the cheese starts to melt, perhaps another minute or two at most.
- Remove molettes from oven and garnish with lettuce, if desired. Next top with salsa and guacamole.
Cookgirl, I can always count on your family's recipes to be excellent! This was total comfort food. I did have to use the French bread, cut. I used very little butter to cut some fat. My cheese was crumbled queso fresco, and for the refrieds, I used your recipe Molly's Refried Beans (which I have been making for years now). For the guac, I just mashed a ripe avocado with some lime juice and salt. What a treat for lunch! Thanx for another winner!