Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
This spicy hot marinade can be used on any meat you grill - chicken, beef, shrimp or prawns (I've even tried it with fish!).. 'Aging' the marinade by storing it in an airtight container and refrigerated for a few days allows the flavour to intensify. A word of caution: habanero chillies are HOT, so please handle them with care! Use gloves or oil your hands before touching them so that the chilli 'oil' does not penetrate into the pores of your skin. The serving size is a guess-timate - this 1 batch of marinade is enough to marinate 6-8 chicken drumsticks or about 30 shrimps or prawns.
- 4 -5 fresh red habanero peppers (stemmed and deseeded)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- If using a grinder, combine all ingredients, grind and mix the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- If you are using a mortar and pestle, start off with the chillies and garlic - grind them into a smooth paste.
- Then add in the dried oregano and grind it in for another minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and give it a thorough mix.
- You may leave the marinade refrigerated to infuse or use it up straight away.
- Rub marinade onto meat and allow to marinate in a bowl for at least thirty minutes (or overnight if possible) before cooking.
Sounds like a great combo of flavours, but this isn't Molho de Piri Piri. Portuguese cuisine never uses oregano and vinegar (preferably red wine vinegar) is a non-negotiable component. The habanero's are a nice touch (I love them!) but again, not traditional to Portuguese cuisine.
Fantastic! I put this on some Chicken Breasts and let it marinade for a few hours and then grilled on the BBQ. it was great. very tasty, spicy but not overly spicy. Used Orange Habeneros (removed the seeds and the ribs but used 5 entire peppers) going to be making this again! Also very good to take to work the next day, I made a few extra for our lunches and it was great. PS: followed recipe as is and it was perfect
Just love this sauce - can be enhanced with a large dash of worcester sauce and, for the brave amongst you, you can also add a few drops of Tabasco sauce and 1 ground clove. Hot!