Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional Mexican food.
- 1600 g chicken, parts separated
- 2 garlic cloves, asados
- 3 cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 600 g tomatillos
- 2 serrano peppers
- 6 tablespoons pork fat
- 2 cups cold water
- 10 g epazote, one stem
- 75 g parsley, one tie
- 2 leaves Thai holy basil, Hoja Santa ligeramente asadas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fry chicken in animal fat, until lightly browned.
- In a food processor blend cloves, peppers, pepper and tomatillos. Add mix to fried chicken and add 2 cups of water. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Just before serving add the epazote, parsley and hierba santa, which have been previously blended in a food processor with a little water, so they stay bright green.
- Cook for 5 minutes more and remove from heat. The sauce should not be thick.
- Serve with white rice on the side.
I have so yearned for this! I often ate it with pork but the recipe is the same. Now as I return to Mexico to spend the rest of my years I clutch this recipe, smile, and bless you! T.J.