Recipe by BraisenWoman
A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry: The flavors of mole (MO-lay), a traditional Mexican sauce of chiles, nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate, are the inspiration for this sweet-and-savory nut mix featuring A1 Original Steak Sauce. Walnuts and peanuts are roasted in a mole-spiced coating and tossed with dried cherries and chocolate for an utterly addictive snack you'll want to eat by the handful.
- 2 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened dried cherries
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1⁄4 cup dark semisweet chocolate chunk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9-by-13 inch baking dish with parchment and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the A1 sauce, walnuts, and peanuts, tossing until evenly coated with the sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, chili powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt; sprinkle this spice mixture over the nuts and toss to coat evenly with the spices.
- Transfer spiced nuts to prepared baking dish and spread out into an even layer. Roast nuts in oven for 20-25 minutes, tossing nuts every 5 minutes to ensure even roasting - when done, nuts will be golden and aromatic and sauce will be almost dry. Remove from oven and immediately transfer nuts to large platter or baking sheet to cool. Once nuts are completely cool, break up any clumps with your fingers and stir in dried cherries and chocolate. Transfer mix to an airtight container for storage.