Recipe by Debbwl
A popular Mexican sauce made of spice and chocolate. We enjoy it over enchiladas, chicken, and burritos. I some times make a double batch as this freezes very well. *Please do not leave out the chocolate as it is what makes this mole sauce.* Can be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I'm sure some might say what I made wasn't authentic, but because what I prepared from this recipe was absolutely wonderful! Although I followed the list of ingredients, I did cut the amount of chili back by half! Other than that, everything was as given in the recipe! I served it over chicken burritos & we were completely satisfied! Definitely something I'd be more than happy to make again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 4 1⁄2 cups vegetables
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons raisins, heaping
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, heaping
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over med.
- low heat.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon.
- Cover and cook until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in chili powder and flour, stir for 1 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth.
- Increase heat to med. high.
- Boil until reduced, about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool slightly.
- Process sauce, raisins, and almonds in blender until smooth.
- Heat over medium heat until hot.
- Whisk in chocolate.
- Reduce heat to low whisk and simmer about 3 minutes till well blended.