Recipe by Barb G.
Serve with hot cooked rice or black beans. Garnish with sour cream, sliced green onions, fresh cilantro leaves, and lime wedges. If making up to a day ahead, chill meat with sauce in airtight container. To reheat, stir often over medium heat until steaming.
- 1 tied boned pork shoulder (butt;about 4 pounds)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (8 ounces)
- 1 firm-ripe tomatoes, rinsed,cored and chopped (8 ounces)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup fat-skimed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 dried ancho chiles or 1 dried pasilla pepper (about 1/2-ounce)
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chile
Directions See How It's Made
- Rince Pork and put in a 5-to 6-quart pan.
- Add onion, tomato, tomato juice, broth and brown sugar.
- Rinse dried chili, breakofff stem,and shake seeds from pod; add dried chile and chipotle chili to pan.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat;reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced with a fork;about 3 to 3 1/2 hours,occasionally pushing meat aside and stiring sauce to make sure it's not sticking.
- Supporting meat with two slotted spoons,transfer to an 8-or9-in wide pan,fat side up.
- Bake meat in a 350 degree oven until very well browned, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cut off and discard string.
- With two forks, tear meat into large chunks; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, skim and discard fat from meat juices.
- Boil juice until reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes.
- Whirl, a portion at a time in blender until smooth (Better yet, use a hand blender).
- Put pork in bowl; pour sauce over meat.