Recipe by AZRT
Haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds good. Homemade mole is so much better than using the stuff in the jar!
Top Review by Bel's Belly
Pretty good, and relatively authentic. I suggest you use fresh chilis though, replace the powder adn jalepeno and double the quantity of chili in it- it gives it a warmer, richer flavour but in combination with the rest of the ingredients, even fresh chilies don't make it too fiery.
- 4 chicken breast halves, bone-in and skin on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, medium size, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tomatoes, medium size, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons almonds or 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm oil.
- Place chicken in Dutch oven and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to the hot pan and stir to brown slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, almonds and garlic; sauté until aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, ginger, thyme, anise seed and cinnamon.
- Sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes.
- Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and stir to deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of pan.
- Whisk in almond or peanut butter, return chicken and any juices to pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and transfer to hot oven.
- Braise chicken until tender, about 1 hour.
- Add a little chicken broth as needed throughout cooking time to keep level constant.
- Remove pot from oven.
- Remove chicken from pot; cover to keep warm.
- Add chocolate to sauce, stirring to melt.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to sauce in pot and turn to coat evenly.
- Bring mixture to simmer over medium heat to warm chicken throughout. Remove chicken to serving platter; sprinkle with sesame seeds.