Haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds good. Homemade mole is so much better than using the stuff in the jar!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breast halves, bone-in and skin on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, medium size, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tomatoes, medium size, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons almonds or 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm oil.
- 3Place chicken in Dutch oven and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- 4Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- 5Add onion to the hot pan and stir to brown slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, almonds and garlic; sauté until aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- 7Add chili powder, ginger, thyme, anise seed and cinnamon.
- 8Sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- 9Add tomatoes.
- 10Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and stir to deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of pan.
- 11Whisk in almond or peanut butter, return chicken and any juices to pan.
- 12Bring to a boil.
- 13Cover pan and transfer to hot oven.
- 14Braise chicken until tender, about 1 hour.
- 15Add a little chicken broth as needed throughout cooking time to keep level constant.
- 16Remove pot from oven.
- 17Remove chicken from pot; cover to keep warm.
- 18Add chocolate to sauce, stirring to melt.
- 19Add salt and pepper.
- 20Return chicken to sauce in pot and turn to coat evenly.
- 21Bring mixture to simmer over medium heat to warm chicken throughout. Remove chicken to serving platter; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mole Poblano With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.3
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 940.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 24.2 g