24 hrs 30 mins
Lou van's Note:
Puebla-style chicken, taken from "Mexican Cooking" (my bible!). Loads of ingredients but don't let them put you off--it's really quite easy and the end product is worth the wait. Great served with Arroz Blanco.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 kg chicken, poached, meat removed from bones
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 1 -3 green chili (fresh or canned)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 50 g sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 6 coriander seeds
- 50 g almonds
- 50 g peanuts
- 4 black peppercorns
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 900 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 stale corn tortilla, shredded
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 -4 tablespoon chili powder
- 50 g raisins
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- 50 g unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 1Make the sauce first.
- 2Melt half the lard in a large saucepan. Cook the chilies, onion and garlic for 5 minutes
- 3Add the sesame seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, almonds, peanuts and peppercorns.
- 4Cook for 10 minutes.
- 5Process the mixture in a food processor, adding a small amount of chicken stock to make a smooth paste.
- 6Melt the remaining lard in the pan and cook the tomatoes.
- 7Add tortilla, ground cinnamon, cloves, chili powder, raisins, salt and pumpkin seeds.
- 8Cook for 5 minutes.
- 9Add this mixture to the bowl of the food processor, and process until smooth.
- 10Add more chicken stock if required. (The mole paste should be quite thick now).
- 11Return all the processed mixture to the pan and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- 12Add the chocolate and allow it to melt, stirring all the time.
- 13Add the vinegar and the remaining chicken stock. (The sauce should now be very thick).
- 14At this point check the seasoning.
- 15If the mole sauce is not spicy enough add more chili powder.
- 16The taste will be raw.
- 17When the sauce has cooled store in the refrigerator.
- 18Leave for 24 - 48 hours.
- 19Pour (spoon) about a quarter of the sauce into the bottom of a large saucepan.
- 20Add the chicken and cover with remaining sauce.
- 21Warm gently.
- 22Serve the chicken masked with the sauce sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mole Poblano Con Pollo
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.3
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 98.4 mg
- Sodium 720.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 29.6 g