Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Puebla-style chicken, taken from "Mexican Cooking" (my bible!). Loads of ingredients but don't let them put you off--it's really quite easy and the end product is worth the wait. Great served with Arroz Blanco.
- 2 1⁄2 kg chicken, poached, meat removed from bones
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 1 -3 green chili (fresh or canned)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 50 g sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 6 coriander seeds
- 50 g almonds
- 50 g peanuts
- 4 black peppercorns
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 900 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 stale corn tortilla, shredded
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 -4 tablespoon chili powder
- 50 g raisins
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- 50 g unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- Make the sauce first.
- Melt half the lard in a large saucepan. Cook the chilies, onion and garlic for 5 minutes
- Add the sesame seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, almonds, peanuts and peppercorns.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Process the mixture in a food processor, adding a small amount of chicken stock to make a smooth paste.
- Melt the remaining lard in the pan and cook the tomatoes.
- Add tortilla, ground cinnamon, cloves, chili powder, raisins, salt and pumpkin seeds.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add this mixture to the bowl of the food processor, and process until smooth.
- Add more chicken stock if required. (The mole paste should be quite thick now).
- Return all the processed mixture to the pan and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and allow it to melt, stirring all the time.
- Add the vinegar and the remaining chicken stock. (The sauce should now be very thick).
- At this point check the seasoning.
- If the mole sauce is not spicy enough add more chili powder.
- The taste will be raw.
- When the sauce has cooled store in the refrigerator.
- Leave for 24 - 48 hours.
- Pour (spoon) about a quarter of the sauce into the bottom of a large saucepan.
- Add the chicken and cover with remaining sauce.
- Warm gently.
- Serve the chicken masked with the sauce sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.