Unbelieveably easy, quick, healthy--and really good. From "20 Minutes to Dinner" by Bryanna Clark Grogan (The Book Publishing Co., 1997). Serves six as a main course with rice and salad, or more as a side.
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 green pepper, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened chocolate (or cocoa powder)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, roasted
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (Mexican corn tortilla flour)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder (or your preference)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 1⁄2 cups pinto beans, cooked and drained
- In a blender, mix all of the ingredients except the last 1 1/2 cups of broth and the beans.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Add the remaining broth and blend again.
- Pour the sauce over the beans in a nonstick pot and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.