Recipe by msintrepid
The kids call this Chocolate Chicken - they love opening up the hen and finding the little relleno suprise inside.
Top Review by mersaydees
I love mole and this was a fantastic dish with the relleno surprise. Made as directed except that I didn't truss the game hens since they were packed into the pan quite tight and it didn't seem to matter. Thanks, msintrepid! Made for Bargain Basement tag game.
- 2 Cornish hens
- 1 bottle prepared mole
- 1 can whole chili pepper
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons Knorr chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and remove gizzards and livers from cavities of hens.
- Place innards in a small saucepan add water to cover by 1 inch, boullion, oregano, chile powder, cumin, cinnamon and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Dry hens and sprinkle with salt and pepper, inside and out Remove chili peppers from can, put liquid from can into broth along with any left over chilis, chopped.
- Place cheese inside of chili peppers and stuff inside hen.
- Tuck wings, secure cavity with pin (I use turkey lacers) place in a deep oven going pan so that they fit snugly.
- Remove broth from heat and strain Replace broth in pan, add Mole sauce.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour Sauce over hens.
- Bake,uncovered, basing with sauce every 20 minutes until done, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with tortillas, beans and pass the extra sauce.