2 hrs 20 mins
My Private Note
cups pa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 dried ancho chiles
- 8 dried guajillo chilies
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 large white onion, unpeeled,quartered
- 1/2 cup shelled skinned almonds, either chopped or sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cannella (true Ceylon cinnamon, a.k.a. Mexican cinnamon) or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (the fresher the better)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1For mole paste: Cut chiles open vertically, remove stems, seeds.
- 2On hot, ungreased griddle or heavy skillet, toast chiles on both sides, flattening with spatula, until skins blister and colors change.
- 3Put chiles in bowl.
- 4Add raisins.
- 5Cover with hot water; soak for 30 minutes and up to a few hours, until soft.
- 6Drain chiles, raisins then puree in blender with water as necessary.
- 7Strain through coarse sieve into large pot, pressing with large spoon adding more water as necessary.
- 8Add chocolate, bring to simmer.
- 9Toast then peel garlic and onion quarters.
- 10Put in blender.
- 11Toast almonds.
- 12Put in blender with onion and garlic.
- 13Add canela, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano.
- 14Puree, adding water as necessary.
- 15Strain into chile-chocolate mixture, pressing down with large spoon, adding more water as necessary.
- 16Cook, stirring, 15 minutes to thicken mole paste.
- 17Paste may be cooled and refrigerated for six months or frozen in airtight containers.
- 18To make sauce from paste: Toast and peel tomatoes.
- 19Puree and strain into paste.
- 20Pour in broth.
- 21Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 22Sauce should be as thick as heavy cream.
- 23Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 24Serve over chicken or turkey pieces sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
- 25Sauce may be refrigerated for up to three days.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mole Coloradito Oaxaca
Serving Size: 1 (1194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 614.4
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1807.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.0 g
- Sugars 29.6 g
- Protein 24.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried guajillo chilies