Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Muir Glen tomatoes are my favorite brand -- this is a recipe that I found on their website. The original recipe calls for 2 T of unsweetened baking cocoa, but my family is not big on chocolate flavor in savory dishes so feel free to use the entire amount. A very easy dinner for a busy night.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno chiles, seeded, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa, chopped (may use 2 T, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (coarse)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pumpkin seeds, roasted, salted & hulled, if desired
- corn tortilla, soft, if desired
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño chiles; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, cocoa, chili powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and chili is desired consistency.
- Sprinkle individual servings with pepitas.
- Serve with corn tortillas.