Muir Glen tomatoes are my favorite brand -- this is a recipe that I found on their website. The original recipe calls for 2 T of unsweetened baking cocoa, but my family is not big on chocolate flavor in savory dishes so feel free to use the entire amount. A very easy dinner for a busy night.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno chiles, seeded, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa, chopped (may use 2 T, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (coarse)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pumpkin seeds, roasted, salted & hulled, if desired
- corn tortilla, soft, if desired
- 1In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add chicken; cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned.
- 3Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño chiles; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Stir in tomatoes, water, cocoa, chili powder, salt and cinnamon.
- 5Heat to boiling.
- 6Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and chili is desired consistency.
- 7Sprinkle individual servings with pepitas.
- 8Serve with corn tortillas.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mole Chicken Chili
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.6
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 267.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 23.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
diced fire-roasted tomatoes