Recipe by Annacia
Ok, I'll admit that I'm on a Halloween binge and having a bunch of fun! These aren't realy moldy. For regular biscuits just leave out the coloring.
Top Review by Lalaloula
Mmmm, these biscuits are so yummy! They have a lovely hearty taste from the scallions and the buttermilk adds a nice tang. The texture is perfectly flaky and moist. I didnt use the green food colouring, but pesto sauce instead (reducing the butter accordingly). That way the bikkies still looked quite moldy and I doubt that many other people would have liked to try them ;) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this fun recipe with us, Annacia! Made and reviewed for 1-2-3-Hit-Wonders Decembre 09.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Sauté the scallions in 3 tablespoons butter until they are soft. Set the scallions aside and let cool.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Cut the 1/2 cup butter into small pieces and cut it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl mix together the 3/4 cup buttermilk and the green food coloring, until it is a very dark shade of green.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and add the scallions and the green buttermilk.
- Mix until a very sticky dough just holds together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 20 times.
- Pat out until 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with a 2 inch cutter. Place biscuits on a baking sheet about 3 inches apart.
- Mix the melted butter and buttermilk and brush on the biscuits.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.