Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Oh my, this recipe by Sonia Uvezian from THE BOOK OF YOGURT captured my attention & imagination. I read it, closed my eyes & a pic of it flashed thru my mind - absolutely lovely! What hostess would not be proud to serve this dish as a brunch item, luncheon entree or dinner party salad? (Time does not include refrigeration time)
- 2 large avocados (peeled, pitted & mashed)
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (unflavored, powdered)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup yogurt (unflavored)
- 1 large tomatoes (peeled, seeded & finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup white onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small garlic clove (crushed to a smooth puree)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (strained, may sub lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb shrimp (sml-med size, cooked in boiling water 3-5 min , shelled & deveined)
- salad greens (platter garnish)
- cherry tomatoes (platter garnish)
- pitted ripe olives (platter garnish)
- lime, slices (or lemon, platter garnish)
- In a saucepan, soften the gelatin in the water. Stir over low heat till the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat source.
- Add yogurt, mashed avocado, tomato, onion, garlic, oil, lemon (or lime) juice, chili powder & salt.
- Mix thoroughly, taste & adjust seasoning as desired.
- Turn mixture into a well-chilled 4 cup ring mold. Cover w/aluminum foil & chill for at least 4 hrs or till well-set.
- To Unmold: Have ready a round, well-chilled platter large enough to allow for the salad assembly as described below. Run the pointed tip of a knife around the edges of the mold to release it. Dip the mold up to the rim into a basin of hot water for just a few seconds. Place the platter upside down over the mold. Hold the platter & mold together & invert. Shake gently to release the molded avocado cream. Repeat process if needed & refrigerate immediately.
- To Assemble Salad: Fill the center of the ring mold w/shrimp. Surround the outside of the ring w/salad greens & top the greens w/halved cherry tomatoes, olives, lime (or lemon) slices & any remaining shrimp.
If you love avocados like I do, then this is the recipe for you! We thought this was best with tortilla chips although we also enjoyed it with crackers. It is similar to a guacamole but it is a bit more elegant and maybe if you don't have someone hangin over your shoulder waiting for dinner you will be able to make it look more elegant as well. I reduced the recipe in half since it was just the two of us and used a smaller mold. I was also worried that it would stick in the mold since it was a bit intricate but it slid right out. Thanks for a great recipe Twissis!