Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
The lemony fragrance eminating from these rolls while they're baking calls one to put on the coffee pot and wait with plate in hand until they are done and you can "unroll" one to cool it off a little and tear into it. Good stuff! Recipe adapted from a Romanian cookbook.
For the dough
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ounce compressed yeast cake
- 2 1⁄2 cups lukewarm milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
For the filling
- 3⁄4 lb sweet butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 lemons, rind of, grated
- For the dough:.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm milk.
- Beat eggs slightly and combine with remaining 2-1/4 cups lukewarm milk.
- Sift flour and salt into large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the flour and add yeast mixture, 4 tablespoons soft butter and egg-milk mixture.
- Mix all, then knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Prepare filling:.
- Cream butter and sugar well.
- Add grated lemon rind and continue beating until very light and fluffy.
- To assemble:.
- Divide dough in half and place 1/2 dough on lightly floured cloth.
- Roll and stretch until thin.
- Spread 1/2 of the butter mixture over entire surface, and roll as for jelly roll.
- Cut into 2" pieces, dip one end in flour and place in ungreased 9"x13"x2" pans arranging so that rolls barely touch.
- Repeat with other half of dough. Cover and let rise 2 hours or doubled in bulk.
- Bake in 350F degree oven for 45 minutes.