The lemony fragrance eminating from these rolls while they're baking calls one to put on the coffee pot and wait with plate in hand until they are done and you can "unroll" one to cool it off a little and tear into it. Good stuff! Recipe adapted from a Romanian cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ounce compressed yeast cake
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
For the filling
- 1For the dough:.
- 2Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm milk.
- 3Beat eggs slightly and combine with remaining 2-1/4 cups lukewarm milk.
- 4Sift flour and salt into large mixing bowl.
- 5Make a well in the flour and add yeast mixture, 4 tablespoons soft butter and egg-milk mixture.
- 6Mix all, then knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 7Prepare filling:.
- 8Cream butter and sugar well.
- 9Add grated lemon rind and continue beating until very light and fluffy.
- 10To assemble:.
- 11Divide dough in half and place 1/2 dough on lightly floured cloth.
- 12Roll and stretch until thin.
- 13Spread 1/2 of the butter mixture over entire surface, and roll as for jelly roll.
- 14Cut into 2" pieces, dip one end in flour and place in ungreased 9"x13"x2" pans arranging so that rolls barely touch.
- 15Repeat with other half of dough. Cover and let rise 2 hours or doubled in bulk.
- 16Bake in 350F degree oven for 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moldavian Sweet Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (2378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.4
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 65.5 mg
- Sodium 328.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of