Recipe by Laddo
Meatballs that are simmered in a garlicky sauce with red peppers, tomatoes and other vegetables. Serve with polenta, rice or noodles and a salad.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 large onion, grated
- 2 cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup plum tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine meatball ingredients. Blend thoroughly and refrigerate while making sauce. Combine garlic and red pepper in food processor to paste. Set aside.
- Saute onion in oil 5 minutes. Add leek, carrot and celery, 10 minutes. Add paste, 3 minutes, add flour, simmer 15 minutes.
- Create walnut sized meatballs. Saute in separate skillet over medium heat until well browned. Dust with flour. Saute i minute more.
- Add balls to simmering sauce, cover simmer another 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream and fresh herbs.