Recipe by OneEye
This dish was served at the Inauguration Luncheon in 2008; I've been making it ever since as my go-to sweet potato recipe for holidays and special occasions.
Top Review by rpgaymer
I really liked these sweet potatoes. Despite all the ingredients, it's not cloyingly sweet at all, and the cumin adds a nice exotic flavor. I boiled my potatoes instead of roasting them- saved so much time! Served with a roasted garlic gravy.
- 3 large sweet potatoes or 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.
- Peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes while still hot. By hand or mixer, smash potatoes until all large chunks are gone.
- Combine the potatoes, butter, salt, orange juice, brown sugar, ground cumin, molasses and maple syrup in a large bowl. Continue to mix all together until all lumps are gone.
- Adjust any of the seasonings to your specific tastes. Can be made the day before.