Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
old fashioned tasting
- 1 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Place molasses, water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and butter in a heavy pan.bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Boil without stirring until it registers 2508-280* on candy thermometer.
- Stir in baking soda and pour onto a buttered marble slab or heat proof platter.
- When taffy is cool enough to handle, pull it with both hands to a spread of 18".
- Fold the taffy back on itself and continue pulling, twisting slightly until ridges, retain their shape about 15 minutes.
- Form into a long rope on a surface coated with 1 cup of powdered sugar.
- cut into bite sized pieces.