Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
these cookies puff up while baking then flatten when cool. they are soft and chewy and delicious.
Make and share this Molasses Sugar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Melt shortening in a 3 or 4 quart saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- when cool, add sugar, molasses, and egg; beat well.
- sift together the flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
- add to first mixture.
- mix well.
- form into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar and place on greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 mminutes.
These are actually my favorite homemade cookies- they are crisp and delicious! Great recipe!
What great cookies and what a gorgeous colour and aroma and as with the reviewer above they will not last long here either !!!
These indeed are outstanding cookies! I reduced the salt to 1/2 teaspoon, and I cut back on the cloves as well. They are delicious and won't last long around here! Thanks for a great recipe.