Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
these cookies puff up while baking then flatten when cool. they are soft and chewy and delicious.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Melt shortening in a 3 or 4 quart saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- when cool, add sugar, molasses, and egg; beat well.
- sift together the flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
- add to first mixture.
- mix well.
- form into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar and place on greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 mminutes.
These are actually my favorite homemade cookies- they are crisp and delicious! Great recipe!
What great cookies and what a gorgeous colour and aroma and as with the reviewer above they will not last long here either !!!
These indeed are outstanding cookies! I reduced the salt to 1/2 teaspoon, and I cut back on the cloves as well. They are delicious and won't last long around here! Thanks for a great recipe.