Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Ladies Home Journal 100 Great Pie & Pastry Recipes
- 2 pie crusts (1 box from the refrigerated section of the grocery store)
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 8 cups golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced (7 or 8 apples)
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut up
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and ginger in a bowl.
- Add apples and toss to coat.
- Add molasses and toss.
- Smooth one of the crusts into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Spoon apple mixture into the crust.
- Dot with butter.
- Place second crust on top, cut vents, and crimp the edges together.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Bake 60 minutes more or until the apples are tender and the filing is bubbly. (If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the top loosely with foil.).
- Cool pie on a wire rack for 1 hour.