Recipe by greysangel
This is more like a cakey bar than a fancy cake...think snack cake or muffin top texture. I think this would make great cupcake batter as well. I love the tart frosting with the spicy molasses. It's a wonderful afternoon snack or light dessert.
- cooking spray
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare cake, coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Place buttermilk and next 5 ingredients (buttermilk through egg) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan with a narrow metal spatula; remove from pan. Peel off wax paper; cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, place powdered sugar, lemon rind, and cream cheese in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spread the frosting over top of cake.
- Cut into squares.