Recipe by mama cocina
Dark & sweet, this is great as a complement to your favorite meal or on its own as a snack.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 2 cups whole wheat flour and yeast in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine molasses, butter, water and salt and heat on low just until butter melts (120-130 degrees).
- Add warm mixture to flour and yeast. Beat with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl. Then beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the seeds and the rye flour, using the electric mixer. Add as much of the remaining whole wheat flour as you can stir in with a spoon. Move dough to a floured surface and knead in the remaining flour.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat with oil. Set in a warm place to rise until double (60-90 minutes).
- Punch down dough. Divide in half and shape into two loaves. Place on a baking sheet and let rise until double (45-60 minutes).
- Bake loaves at 375 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks. Slice into 1/2 inch slices.